Dolton.org

Frank Dolton

born February 13, 1864, Nortonville, KS (h/o Ida Olive Ford, b 1867 in Barrow Stations, IL)

Children of Frank and Ida:
  1. William Jewell Dolton (1892-1965)
  2. Florence May Dolton (1894-1973)
  3. Nancy Isabell Dolton (1895-1981)
  4. Thomas Frank Dolton (1899-1982)
  5. Gilbert Joseph Dolton (1902-1929)
  6. Elza Garland Dolton (1904-1981)
  7. Ines Olive Dolton (1905-1996)
  8. Daisy Irma Dolton (1909-1994)

Photo of some of Frank's family.  Adults are Daisy, Ida, Florence, Frank, and Claude

     Frank Dolton was born February 13, 1864, in Nortonville, Kansas. His parents were Joseph H. Dolton, from Illinois, and Sarah Isabell Thornton, from Missouri. Frank found and married Ida Olive Ford. They lived in Dekalb County, Missouri. In Louis Dolton Sr's, (one of Elza's children), notes of conversations with Elza Dolton, (one of Frank's children), records Frank and Ida lived near Maysville, Kansas. Frank's Bible indicates that his first four children were born in Amity, Missouri.
     Frank's family came to Oklahoma Territory in 1900 settling on a farm near Edmond. According to his obituary he moved to Oklahoma City in 1901 and began trading in real estate. In a pamphlet, "Mustang: It's Beginnings (MIB)," by Spence and Reding in celebration of America's Bicentennial 1776, the pamphlet indicates that in September 1901 Frank bought a 160 acre farm from Samuel Maxwell for $3200. Frank and Ida must have celebrated too because nine months later their first Mustang child, William, was born.
     The farm was the quarter section touching the northwest corner of Mustang. From this quarter section was carved the site for Mustang School when the four school districts combined to create a school of grades one through twelve, (discussed later). Frank also gave about ten acres of this land located on Mustang Road to the city for a cemetery. For some reason, he sued to recover this property but lost. A auto service station was built on the northeast corner at the intersection of Mustang Road and Highway 41. The station was operated by his son Thomas then later by Elza.
     From his first introduction to Mustang, Frank was active in every aspect of life in the growing town. Although he did raise crops on his farm, he became involved in trading and business ventures. In 1902 some merchants and farmers got together and formed the Mustang Commercial Club. Its purpose was to promote Mustang. Frank was on the committee that drew up the club's charter and at it's second meeting July 29, 1902, was elected a director of the club.
     Most of the town meetings like those of the Commercial Club and School Board took place in the Modern Woodman of America Hall. This hall was on the second floor of the Forster Building above the Post Office and General Store. Modern Woodman of America, (a mutual insurance company) was a vital force in territorial Mustang. They supported all civic and business activities which would benefit the community.
     In the Fall of 1904, it was announced that "the whole country from Union City to Dr. Spitlers is a web of telephones." (This was an area of about 500 square miles.) There were, in fact, four private houses with telephones. Frank's house was one of the first. Frank was a member of the committee who tried to get "long distance" service into Mustang and was the first to call "long distance" some thirty miles to Oklahoma City in June 1905.
     In 1904 Frank promoted the organization of the "Anti Horse Thief Association. This was done and the group cooperated with other associations all over the country to locate stolen horses.

Read all of the Frank Dolton Family History.


About Us | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | ©2006, 2015, 2018 Louis Dolton